't Schaep, also known as Samuel Coucke's House after its most famous
owner in the 19th century, is located in the heart of Bruges very close
to the cathedral of Saint Salvator.
Despite its very central location, the house and garden are remarkably pieceful.
current appearance of this big stately home dates back to the 19th
century when a 16th century inn was united with a 17th century
residence. The interior is in keeping with 19th century gothic revival
and the whole property is now a listed building.
1855, Samuel Coucke bought the house and completely renovated it. It
was here he crafted hundreds of stained glass windows until 1899. These
windows were not just for the Belgian market, but also for the Dutch,
German, American, South-American markets and the Congo.
to stained glass windows, Samuel Coucke together with his sons and
workmen, also made furniture, statues, wrought iron, polychromies and
murals of painted tiles. All of which were very much in vogue in the
2nd half of the 19th century, the neo-gothical era